Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Appliqued baby jersery

As much as I'm enjoying making the coat, I felt the need for a bit of instant gratification. Nicholas needed a new jersey (in New Zealand a "jersey" is a sweater) because - well, because I wanted to make him one. I used my favourite modified Ottobre pattern, and decided to add a bit of interest to the front. The applique design is from Ottobre 06/07. I just thought it was cute.

I did the applique very simply. First I basted a scrap piece of cotton velour onto the front of the jersey.
Then I traced the design onto a piece of Glad Press'n'seal and pressed it over the velour. It works as a stabiliser as well as marking the design. It holds in place without any shifting, and can be removed easily without leaving any residue.

Then I satin stitched over the outline.

Then I pulled out the press'n'seal and very carefully cut away the excess velour. I wanted the slightly fuzzy outline, so this method suited. For a clean satin stitched edge I'd have done a wider zigzag, pulled out the plastic and cut off the excess, then done a closer spaced zig zag.

It didn't take long to do the applique, and constructing the jersey itself took less than an hour. (My coffee didn't even get cold.) Not bad for instant gratification. I have more of the fabric, so I'll have to think of something girly to make for Isabella.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Judy, just found your blog and enjoying it :) I love the appliqué, and thanks for sharing your technique! The ghost is adorable.