Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Easy self facing

I thought this time I'd show my fool proof method for self facings. I assume other people know how to do this, but it was a revelation to me when I figured it out, so I thought I'd share.

This is on a baby jean style jacket. Firstly, to cut the lining I just place all the pieces onto the fabric with seam allowances overlapped. The only shaped seam is the back yoke, so there I just have to fudge a little. (With lots of shaping, this obviously won't work!).
My centre front section has a double folded self facing. You can see in this photo that I've pinned all of that back so the lining is cut to the front edge only.


Next I line up the cut edges of jacket and lining, right sides together. You can see how much difference there is in necklines for the two pieces. I've chalked in my stitching line, which is precisely on the facing fold line. Then I sew this seam, and turn the jacket and lining right way round.
When the facing is pressed it looks like this. Necklines match up, and you have a layer of lining and two layers of self fabric to face/interface the centre front. Easy!

After this (usually I've sewn the lining together before I do this, but it was easier to photograph before I sewed it up) I can easily sew the collar between jacket and lining, and the waistband over the bottom edge.
This is the one drawback to being self-taught. It can take years before you figure out something as simple as this.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wisdom. I'm pretty much self-taught and am always learning the hard way. This is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! What an adorable jacket with the cutest lining. Thanks goodness for the internet to speed up the learning curve, and thank you so much for taking the time and effort to share your knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the information, it helps with my creativity. This is a great technique.

    ReplyDelete