Monday, July 27, 2009

The wonder that is Glad Press'n'Seal

Firstly, here is a close up of the label I made yesterday. As you can clearly see, I need to practice keeping it straight!


I've been asked a few times about Glad Press'n'Seal. It has to be my all time favourite stabilizer! The "proper" ones are neither readily available, nor inexpensive in my neck of the woods. I can pick this up in the supermarket for a few bucks, and use it whenever I need a removable stabilizer.


My favourite use is for marking designs to embroider. Here I've traced the stencil image onto paper because the sharpie marker bleeds if I use it with the stencil. The press'n'seal sticks to the paper, but doesn't leave any residue when you take it off.

Here's the design, traced with a fine tipped sharpie marker. The sharpie works just fine if I don't use it directly with the stencil. Once the ink is dry it's permanent, and doesn't rub off onto my sewing thread. The press'n'seal sticks to the fabric nicely, but again leaves no residue when removed.


After stitching around the design, you have to pull out the press'n'seal. In small areas that can be a pain, but good tweezers help. You can see it peeled back on the right petal, leaving no sign it was ever there.
I really love this stuff. I have yet to use it for food.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting stuff - not sure if we have an equivalent - I will have a better look next time I am at the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I've been struggling along with tearaway stabiliser stuff which rips out half the stitches along with it when it's removed....must add this stuff to my Pak N Save list ;-) It's always nice to hear tips from this side of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some and I have used it for food. I'll have to remember this when my new niece requires clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharin' - must try this next time I want to make a motif.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eureka, what a find, and what a revelation. Embroidery stabilizer is also pricey and difficult to find here. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. for Australians, you can buy it through USA foods in Melbourne. I use it. USA foods has a minimum purchase, I think it was 20.00. so you may want to see if any friends want any as I bought four boxes of it.

    ReplyDelete