Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Do I or don't I?

So far today I've joined the two halves of the dress, and I'm happy with the fit. However, I'm not thrilled with the CB zip/seam. I basted that sucker with two lines of stitching before I sewed it in, and I tried it on the dummy about five times while I was working on it. It was flat and smooth when I did it, but on the dummy it kind of puckers at the waist. I showed David when he came home for lunch and he didn't see the puckers till I pointed them out.


If you click on the picture you can see a bigger view. I took the shot outside in bright sunlight to show as much detail as possible. I have a bit more butt than the dummy, so it sits more smoothly over my backside.

So my question is this - is it worth ripping out that zip and trying again? David reckons that it is not noticable enough to be worth it, and I'm scared that a rework won't improve it to any significant degree. I have a horrible feeling that I'm going to be tossing and turning all night trying to talk myself into leaving it, and in the morning I'm going to rip the bugger out and do it over. And I'll feel so much better for doing so. (I did say I'm a bit inclined to be anal.)

5 comments:

  1. Wow - bias and charmeuse, 2 words to strike fear into most seamstresses hearts but yours is coming up beautifully - those side gathered panels are an intriguing design feature. So glad it's you making it not me - so happy to be an armchair sewer on this one!

    Love the party dress - the belt and shoes in red make for a gorgeous colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's a hard one. My first inclination when I saw it was rip out the zipper and re-do, then I remembered the dress is cut on the bias. Now I'm thinking those diagonal wrinkles are not a wonky zipper but rather the bias drooping between the waist stay and the zipper. Both the stay and the zipper are stabilised so the bias fabric (weighed down by the skirt) may be drooping between the two. I'm thinking redoing the zipper might not solve it. More to think about and keep you awake at night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I'd say rip it out. Not because it looks bad, it's fine to me, but because everytime you look at it that darn zipper will bug you. I'm just as anal rententive when it comes to stuff like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it's the zip. The wrinkles suggest that the weight of the bias skirt might be an issue and also that the fabric might possibly have a grain issue and not be truly on the bias?
    Perhaps stabilising the fabric around the zip insertion might do the trick?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If if worries you, unpick and redo. Otherwise it will both you when you wear this completely beautiful dress. But it didn't really see it. It gives the impression that it is a continuation of the ruching.

    ReplyDelete