Friday, October 30, 2009

I do sew for my own kids too

I've been sorting through the twins' clothes and realised that Nicholas is going to need a couple of sweatshirts shortly, when he finally outgrows the 3 month size ones I bought and made him rather a while ago! So I drafted this one for him. I love this neckline as it's so easy to get on, and you get two layers over the tummy, which is nice if it's cool. The cute ghost applique is from an Ottobre magazine so, much to Georgia's delight, this one is definitely not going to be sold.



Then I drafted this pinafore. I was a bit iffy about the amount of room at the hem, so made a toile. It was supposed to fit Isabella, and it did, but there was no extra room, so I graded it up. And made another toile. I seldom make toiles because I can't be bothered, and I want to spend my precious sewing time on something that will be worn. But I don't want to spend my precious sewing time on something that is unwearable, hence the toiles. I'm really glad I did, because now I'm confident that this will not only fit Isabella , but also that she can walk around in it (and therefore I can confidently call it an 18 month size and sell it).

Which brings me to the best news - I went into Miracle yesterday, and to my utter delight, they are going to sell my designs! As I assumed they will take them on consignment, so I will be paid if and when anything sells. I am officially a childrenswear designer. Yippee!

6 comments:

  1. Your children's clothing is absolutely adorable. I loved sewing for my girls when they were little - still do really. But now everything has to be so fitted. Different sewing to boxy pinis with embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finding an outlet for your designs - and very cute they are too! I love the ghost -so cute, right in time for halloween.

    I don't know how you manage with so little tissue paper! Burda tracing paper is no longer imported into New Zealand so our local Bernina is bringing in tracing paper (same weight and thickness as cooking paper) from China. It's shorter and smaller, that means I have to tape 2 pieces together to trace out trousers, and there are only 3 pieces per packet. Basically I can trace out two patterns per packet, and a packet costs 7 bucks.

    How do you do with so little???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to the new children's wear designer!!! How lovely for you to be paid to do something you enjoy! The clothes are beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Nanna, I just had a "doh!" moment when I read your comment. I think of "tracing paper" as the waxy dressmakers carbon paper. (No idea why, but it's been so long now that it's stuck in my head as tracing paper). For tracing patterns I use greaseproof paper from the supermarket. You do have to tape bits together, but it's way cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Your designs are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!! I'm not surprise at all, however, as your work is fab.

    I use medical exam-table paper for tracing, it's cheap and has the right weight and transparency-- or at least it's cheap for me, since I get it for free from my dad. However, I know people who have told me their local doctor will donate or sell a single roll (it is expensive if you have to buy a whole box of 12 rolls, which would last even me for several years-- and I trace voluminously). The only set-back is that because mine is donated by my dad, it often has pharmaceutical logos printed on it. Plain is available, it's just that my dad usually only donates the paper that he gets for free from drug reps. Sheesh. Beggers can't be choosers, and all that.

    Sorry, didn't mean to write a novel about exam-table paper. Back to: Congratulations! Well deserved!

    ReplyDelete