Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Mine, all mine!

My aunt sent me 40 pounds for my birthday. When converted (and the bank took their fee, grr) that came to just over NZ$77. The dilemma - what to spend it on? Naturally it had to be something special. I thought about putting it towards a handbag or shoes, and then got on to sewing stuff. What did I want, but couldn't justify buying? Almost immediately I thought of the Winifred Aldrich childrenswear pattern drafting book. I knew there was a later edition than the one I borrowed from the library, and this one covered baby wear too. Perfect! About 5 mins on the net showed that Amazon had it, but even better the University bookshop had an even later edition, and Keely is a student and eligible for a student discount! So I gave her the money to get or order the book next time she was near the bookshop. 41minutes later I got a text to say that she'd got it! I had to wait till after I'd been to the gym to pick it up, and then till we'd put the twins to bed before I could read it, but then I got to study it. And I am so impressed. There is a lot of stuff in here that would have been very helpful in my efforts to date. Best of all is the stuff on babywear. I was reluctant to grade my blocks down much further since they were already modified from instructions for bigger drafts.


So of course today my desk looks like this:

The book does have a couple of very minor errors that I've come across so far, but they were very easily dealt with. I am very keen to see how this block compares to the drafts I've already done. I really really like drafting. I enjoy the process of creating patterns nearly as much as making the garments!

Meanwhile, here's the latest of my designs, made over the weekend. This one's a size two. Georgia thinks that they're too cute for selling, and should be kept for Isabella. But then she thinks that about everything, and seems to forget that I made the pattern as well as the capris and can grade it to fit Isabella!


And the back. I love these gathered pockets. I have to confess that I didn't actually draft the pockets - I pinched them from another pattern. I do know how to draft them, but I was in a hurry. I feel so much better for confessing! (It's the only thing on my own designs that I didn't draft from my own drafted blocks)
After I finish my new blocks I have another pattern drafted which I'm dying to make up. It's my interpretation of a vintage design. And when I say vintage I mean VINTAGE. It's a girl's dress from the late c18th! Just need to prewash the cotton voile I'm going to use.....


7 comments:

  1. How wonderful a birthday present! And the pants are lovely...were the gathered pockets from Ottobre? I did that for a pinafore dress/ tunic for my DD1 back in January or so...enjoy your book

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE those pants - everything about them - the yoke, the pockets, the cuffs. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those pants. Do you have Pattern making for fashion design? It is the bible for making women's wear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love those gathered pockets and the little daisy is so adorable on the pink polka dots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What can I say? I know how you are with waiting..... ;)

    Cute trousers. I do like those pockets. I think G is right - Isabella really needs to get some of the items you've been making.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done for:
    - spending the money and not just putting it in your purse and have it used for groceries
    - spending the money on yourself
    - spending the money on something you really want

    Given how easily you got the book, it was obviously meant to be!

    ReplyDelete