Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Big Birthdays

Today is my birthday. I'm 40. In the lead up to this momentous occasion people keep asking what I'm going to do to mark the milestone. I kept feeling like I should do something big, since it's a Big Birthday, but the truth is I'm sort of over birthdays for myself (there are enough birthdays in our house to get excited about - kids birthdays are way more fun!). I have no issue with turning 40. I've been alive for 40 years, I have 40 years life experience and the body to prove it! I did want to be back in shape after the twins, and I acheived that with time to spare - 12kg lost and several months of the gym have me looking how I want. I don't look 18, and neither do I want to. I want to look like a fit 40 year old. So another birthday just didn't seem to be worth getting excited about.



However, with school age kids, all birthdays require special teas and birthday cake. I agonized for ages when I realised that my birthday is a Wednesday - my gym day. When I go to the gym I feed the family and take off, having my tea after I get home and we put the twins to bed. I worried that Georgia and Oliver would feel totally ripped off without a birthday tea, and then figured, it's my birthday, I get to do what I want, and I want to go to the gym as usual! Georgia will make me a chocolate cake this afternoon and ice it while I'm out. We'll eat it (and I'm sure they'll sing me Happy Birthday) when I get home. Everyone is satisfied.



And then I got up this morning, ready for a pleasant but not overly special day. And my darling children presented me with the cards they have been working on for DAYS. Georgia bugged David to take her to the Warehouse for some craft supplies and made a very cool card, and taught Oliver how to do one too. They spent a lot of time on them, and it really reminded me what IS special about birthdays. My children got as much pleasure making those cards with much love and care as I got in receiving them. And here they are.


After that excellent start to the day my Mum arrived so we could go to Glenfalloch (a beautiful public garden on the peninsula). She came in carrying a large oblong box, which completely mysitfied me. I couldn't imagine what it was till I unwrapped it. My mother is the QUEEN of present buying. For Big Birthdays she rounds up all the family to contribute and get something big. For me: a six line, 6.5m retractable washing line. (AND a post to mount it on, AND a bag of concrete mix!) Ever since we bought this house we have been meaning to do something about the inadequate washing line (2 lines, upped to 3) and my brilliant mother figured this was an ideal present. She was so right! I did wonder what it says about me that I got ridiculously excited about a washing line for my birthday. (I think it says that I am practical minded and not overly sentimental.) We then went for a very nice morning tea at Glenfalloch. I have to say, the staff at the tea rooms there were brilliant - they weren't open yet, but the extremely obliging lady from the bigger venue couldn't have been nicer about bringing down hot water for our coffees (since they weren't ready yet) and letting us in to have our morning tea there (despite the fact that there was a bus due any minute which was going to make them very busy). Very very good service.

So, I think I've decided that birthdays ARE worth getting excited about.

9 comments:

  1. Happy 40th Judy sounds like a wonderful start to the day thus far; I am like you, I like practical presents over sentimental anyday...hence the expensive kitchen scales for my recent birthday from DH :-) go figure...:-) and a pressure cooker for eid not long after!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Such lovely cards and a lovely day. (I feel much better now about asking for a new set of pots and pans for Christmas, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Judy...Your Mum sounds great. My mother only recently stopped sending me size 8 underwear every birthday. Now that's practical isn't it (I'm actually a size 14, but somehow this slipped my Mum's attention!). Have a really lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy big four oh .. what a great philosophy you have about birthdays. Glad it was such a special (and practical) day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! Lovely cards - how clever of G. Does the early morning text (and the fact I didn't realise it was a BIG birthday) make up for the fact I forgot to say it in person this afternoon? I'm going to plea to being a bit kerfuzzled by the ticket thing, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! I am glad you are excited now, because it is exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy B-Day, and welcome to the 20/20 club! I turned 40 last wed. 10/7, and I must say, I feel
    like me!!lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic birthday! Wow! The cards, and that pressie from your DM. Practical presents are great. You remember the person and occasion each time you use them. A gift that keeps on giving, enjoy it all! Many more happy birthdays to you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Belated Birthday Judy. Sounds like you had a great day and what a very thoughtful present from your Mum.

    And I have to tell you..... you know what I got the most from this post? That you are very happy... happy with your life. It is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete