Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The least alike twins in the world

 I made this dress for Isabella. (BWOF 01/09, #136b) It's one I threw aside in disgust a little while ago when I realised that as drafted it wouldn't go over her head.  Thanks Burda. I ended up drafting the original strap arrangement into actual straps that cross over at the back.  Fortunately I had plenty of fabric to cut them.


I made her a size 110.  She's recently been measured at 108cm tall, and as you can see, this barely hits her knee!  She is in the 75th percentile for height, and about 90th for weight, so sewing for her requires a little thought in the exact opposite direction from Nicholas!

Red and white gingham, fresh and pretty, and festive to boot.  She put the santa hat on, and willingly did a little dance for me to photograph.



I should have shown a picture of them together to really show the size disparity, but anyway here's Nicholas, also today.  Cute outfit isn't it?  His shorts are size 3-6months baby jeans, (bought for 50c from the kindy fair - bargain!) and his T shirt is a size 1.


Their personalities are also as different as can be. When I first found out I was having fraternal twins I thought it would be nice if they were different sexes so that they didn't necessarily go through their whole lives identified as "the twins" if they didn't want to.  I sure got what I wished for :-)

2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine is married to a twin. Her husband's twin is scarily the same in all respects except personality. Twin brother of husband is a bit of a naughty boy! At least Isabella doesn't have an 'evil twin'. PS love Isabella's dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and am so glad.

    I have 3yo twin girls who do look alike, but are also very, very different girls. People usually use their personalities to help tell them apart when they are first getting to know them. I love the jumper your daughter in in, but in reading your frustrations with the pattern, I realize that I have had trouble with too tight necklines with Burda patterns. I always end up wishing I had made a bigger size, since changing the neckline always seems just a little beyond me at the moment of sewing.

    ReplyDelete