I abandoned this dress last summer, in a bout of apathy over our dismal summer. It sat in many, many pieces for a very long time until I found my "to sew" list actually empty of stuff for other people. I've been chipping away at it for a while, and today seemed like a good day to finish - start the new year by completing a UFO! (Note that for a change I am looking at the camera, and smiling - David is on holiday and took these for me!)
I'm not thrilled with it, but that is not the fault of the pattern, which I absolutely love. I used two rather light, and not opaque cottons. Underlining gave the required opacity but created considerable bulk which was difficult to deal with. Inside there are places that look like a total dog's breakfast, and my seam matching along one side seam is sooooooo not up to my usual very anal standard. Since matching the seams was going to cause more problems I elected to leave them be and be satisfied that at least the seam lengths matched and the zip is smooth.
The biggest issue is simply that I am not the same size that I was when I started it. It fits, but not that well. Not the fault of dress or pattern. Being cotton, it will give a little with wear, which will help. (Oh yes, I am definitely going to wear this!)
I'll just have to make it again, in a more appropriate fabric and size. Because I still neeeeeeeeed this dress. It is such a cool design, and a fun, challenging make. Things I really love in a pattern.
It’s the only way to live/In cars
14 hours ago