Thursday, April 18, 2013

Yay New Zealand!

Warning - potentially unpopular opinion follows.  Ok this is a sewing blog, and I usually (and should) keep my opinions on politics, religion and other contentious topics to myself, but DAMN I am so proud to be a New Zealander today - the 13th country in the world to legalize gay marriage as of last night!

This is a topic about which I feel strongly.  As a heterosexual atheist woman who got married recently enough to have a choice between marriage and a civil union (equal in law) I wanted to be married.  I see no reason that anyone else with the same level of commitment to their chosen partner should be denied the same status.  What will happen now?  Gay people will get married.  The rest of the world will continue exactly as before.  The end.

8 comments:

  1. Going by most polls it's not an unpopular opinion in NZ. Yes, so far the fact LGBT people can marry has had no effect on my marriage and I don't feel my marriage has been devalued. The sun has risen this morning and the world doesn't seem to be in danger of ending. Yes, I'm proud to acknowledge my NZ citizenship too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My feelings of this topic are similar to yours, it doesn't matter if people are homosexual or heterosexual as long as they keep their sexuality their own business, what is good to you may not be good to others. Heterosexuality has done no good for this world, nor any particular race or religion, so I say too, live and let live:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also proud of New Zealand, and watched on BBC how the vote reading ended up breaking out in song. Wow! Very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo!!!! Good on NZ from a Massachusetts girl (the first state in the US to legalize same-sex marriage).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo! I watched the video of the law being passed several times, and really wish there was a way to trade the US Congress for a body of legislators who actually get something done. Something good getting done being especially rare here anymore. Congratulations on a government with enough common sense to realize this means absolutely NOTHING except to the people it affects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a great moment, wasn't it. Yay NZ! from someone who often plays down her nationality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for NZ from a Canadian who completely agrees with you. I'm enjoying your blog, especially your Alabama Chanin garments. I just discovered Natalie's class on Craftsy and am having the time of my life preparing my first garment. Yours are beautiful and such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing your sewing.

    moushka26 (at) yahoo (dot) ca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go NZ! As an Aussie that lived in Auckland for a year and has travelled there many, many times, I'm proud of NZ too. Aussies make the mistake of thinking that geographic proximity means psychic proximity too and that isn't so. New Zealanders are much more forward thinking, accepting and innovative .. they really punch above their weight. Yea.. I'm going again in a few months when my degree is done... can't wait!

    ReplyDelete