Monday, March 19, 2012

At what point am I officially obsessed?

I got this far on my sister's Alabama Chanin corset top - centre front panel stitched, beaded and snipped.


Then I ran out of beads. It'll be a few days before she gets more and I tell you I was positively ITCHING to do more. You know how it is when a project gets under your skin and you just can't settle to anything else? So I started this:

It's the tank top from Alabama Studio Style, with their paisley pattern, which can be downloaded here. I have decided that I require a hand work project of some sort to be at hand at all times. Something I can easily pick up and put down frequently and which can be abandoned at any point when required. (Machine sewn projects are harder to drop instantly when someone screams.) And which can be worked on while parked on the sofa watching tv in the evening.

So, I have completed three hand sewn corset tops for me and have the fabric for a dress (once I decide on embellishment), I'm in the middle of a corset top for my sister and have started a tank top for me. I think I need a shrug or bolero in this style as well..... These garments take a Very.Long.Time. (an estimated 80 hours for the first one I made) What possesses a rational person to want to spend this long on one garment? More than once? I just find the whole process so enjoyable - it's very relaxing and somehow the fact that it is going to take so long makes it easy not to be in a pointless hurry, which is a big contrast to most of life! (I'm a process and product person - I enjoy the process as much as the finished result.) I thought the first corset top I made would have scratched the itch, but all it did was inflame the passion!



I haven't abandoned my beloved sewing machine though, I made a pair of pants for David to wear to work, and these for Nicholas:

We both love the dragon freezer paper stencilled onto contrasting fabric then appliqued on.

I've drafted this design from a couple of different blocks, and annoyingly grabbed the wrong one (regular fit) instead of the slim fit Nicholas needs. Oh well, I need to make him more anyway.


And in closing, here's a random twin shot.

I keep saying, twins are funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment